Thursday 22 May 2014

Mental Health Awareness Month

MHAM

Because I'm on Twitter like a fiend at the moment touting for Ninja Book Swap sign ups (you have till Sunday to get your sign up emails in, you know you want to), I was lucky enough to see a tweet about this event being hosted by Uncorked Thoughts and Blog of Erised and of course I had to join in. Mental health is an incredibly important topic to me, purely because of the amount of people I know (myself included) who have been or are being affected by mental health issues, and because of the stigma attached to that. 

The basic idea is that bloggers dedicate time during the month of June to read, review and discuss books dealing with mental health issues. Despite my imminent baby having (and probably resulting slight mental health issues!) I am going to attempt to read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, which I got a couple of Ninja Swaps ago, and also The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides, which I saw the film of years ago but have never read. Both are not that long, and I'm hoping to be on twitter a lot joining in discussions using #MHAMJUNE and helping to spread awareness :-) 

8 comments:

  1. What a good idea! I'm going to be reading a lot of war literature in June for the classics twelve month thingy and I am obsessed with PTSD/shell shock so I may mix the two up. Enjoy your reading :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I also find PTSD really ... is it morbid to say interesting? anyway, if you read anything good let me know :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh yes... I don't think I'll be 'officially' taking part, but unofficially? DEFINITELY. I'm all for anything that raises mental health awareness, as you know. :)

    I also have The Virgin Suicides and Thirteen Reasons Why pretty high up Mount TBR (especially since I found out TRW was being made into a movie) so maybe I'll sort-of read along with you... Maybe I'll take TRW on holiday, even. It's not exactly light reading, but it might be compelling enough to keep me hooked even during hot 'n' sleepy sunlounger time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it with me, cos I'm a bit worried it will make me just really sad so if we read it together we can cheer each other up :-p

      Delete
  3. Thanks for joining! I loved The Virgin Suicides. Have yet to see the movie. I hope you like it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting such a great event! The movie was ok, I don't remember it too well, but lots of people have told me the book is better so I'm looking forward to that :-)

      Delete
  4. I found your blog when I was looking for a different sort of information but I was very happy and glad to read through your blog. The information available here is great
    psychotherapists in nyc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for joining! :) Thirteen Reasons Why is just ah <3 I adore it. I need to read The Virgin Suicides too! Good luck with your baby :) x

    ReplyDelete