Thursday 29 December 2011

What I Got for Christmas!

I don't know if I've mentioned that I have an awesome family. Christmas will stand me in good stead for the beginning of my book buying ban, I think. Altogether this christmas I received a grand total of twelve books!

Excuse the random Christmas paraphernalia in the photo! The books are:
Eternals by Neil Gaiman from my wonderful husband. Both of us love graphic novels, and our collection is steadily growing, which makes me really excited. I love them because they're so beautiful and so glossy and just generally exciting!
The Invention of Hugo Cabret  by Brian Selznick also from my husband. It has the most gorgeous artwork.  We saw the film just before Christmas and it was excellent. I'm halfway through the book at the moment, and I'm enjoying it. It will be very interesting to see how it measures up when I'm done though!
The Great British Bake Off: How to Bake by Mary Berry also from my husband (he knows me well!). 
Shakespeare by Bill Bryson from my mum. I'm a giant Bryson fan and I've yet to read this! It will tie in nicely with the year of reading Shakespeare.
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz from my lovely sisters. I recently read this, but it was bought for me before I had, and I'm excited to own it as it was a library book and is one of those books which will probably benefit greatly from re-reading. 


From my father-in-law:
The Promised One by David Alric - a children's book that looks really interesting. 
Sourcery, Pyramids, Guards!Guards!, Eric, Moving Pictures and Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett - I plan to re-read the Discworld series in order, and these fill in most of the gap I had in the books I owned!!
I'm thinking that I will have to sign up for Hannah's Terry Pratchett reading challenge now. I've been umming and aahing about it, but now I have no excuse!

What did other people get?

3 comments:

  1. Nice presents!

    How on earth did I miss that Bryson wrote a book on Shakespeare? Off to check the library for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12 books? hooray! At least you'll have one a month for next year. Best of luck with the book buying ban. I tried, and on the very same day I started the local bookstore just HAD to have a sale... and I ended up walking away with 11. Oh the shame. -_-'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when my beloved ones buy me books, they give extra-meaning to the book itself.

    Happy 2012, Bex!

    ReplyDelete