Tuesday 22 November 2011

Shakespeare Challenge & Support Your Local Library!

I just wanted to mention another couple of challenges. As these two are both currently quite small, and really will help me towards my book buying ban, I thought I'd just do a mini post about both of them! I really will start posting proper content again soon!
Reading Shakespeare: A Play a Month in 2012
I’ve not read any Shakespeare since graduating over three years ago, and I think it’s time to rectify that! Risa at Breadcrumb Reads is hosting a Shakespeare Reading challenge, which I have signed up for. There was a poll, and these are the results. We are going to read a play a month in 2012!


  • JanuaryA Midsummer Night’s Dream
  • FebruaryMacbeth
  • MarchHenry V
  • AprilMuch Ado About Nothing
  • MayAntony and Cleopatra
  • JuneRichard III
  • JulyAs You Like It
  • AugustKing Lear
  • SeptemberCymbeline
  • OctoberTwelfth Night
  • NovemberOthello
  • DecemberPericles
Yay for Shakespeare! 
Support Your Local Library Challenge 2012

In keeping with my attempt to sign up for challenges which will help me to keep to my 2012 book buying ban, I’m signing up for the Support Your Local Library challenge, which does exactly what it says it does. Hosted by The Eclectic Bookshelf, the challenge runs from 1st January 2012 to 31st December 2012. Re-read don’t count, and obviously the books must all be library books! You don’t have to have a blog to participate, so go sign up for it!
With libraries so much talked about lately, and with the threat of closures looming large in my local area, as well as in the rest of the UK, it’s more important than ever to support your local library if we want them to be there for future generations. Personally I can’t imagine what my childhood would have been like without the library, so I’m quite vocal in my support for the saving the libraries!
There are four levels for this challenge which are as follows:
Level 1: Read 12 library books
Level 2: Read 24 library books
Level 3: Read 36 library books
Level 4:  Read 37+ library books
Originally I thought I’d come in at about level 2, but I’ve decided to be brave and dive in at the deep end, so I’m signing up for Level 4! 

Here are the library books I have read:



  1. Yossarian Slept Here: When Joseph Heller was Dad and LIfe was a Catch 22 by Erica Heller
  2. Bleeding Kansas by Sara Paretsky
  3. A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve
  4. Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
  5. The Last Picture Show - Larry McMurtry
  6. The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith 
  7. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother - Amy Chua
  8. The Lost Art of Gratitude - Alexander McCall Smith
  9. Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
  10. The Cookbook Collector - Allegra Goodman
  11. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
  12. Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams - Jenny Colgan
  13. Fairytale Ending - Gigi Levangie
  14. The Borrower - Rebecca Makkai
  15. The Resourceful Mum's Handbook  - Elen Lewis
  16. Secrets to Happiness - Sarah Dunn
  17. Aphrodite's Workshop for Reluctant Lovers - Marika Cobbold 
  18. Let's Pretend This Never Happened - Jenny Lawson
  19. The Meryl Streep Movie Club - Mia March
  20. I Feel Bad About My Neck and Other Reflections on Being a Woman - Nora Ephron
  21. Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading  - Nina Sankovitch
  22. Last Christmas - Julia Williams
  23. The Pi**ed Off Parents Club - Mink Elliot
  24. Peaches for Monsieur le Cure - Joanne Harris
  25. Moranthology - Caitlin Moran
  26. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian - Sherman Alexie
You can sign up here. Libraries are an awesome thing! 

1 comment: